- 8 servings
- 6 Eggs
- ¾ c Sugar
- 2 ½ c Bisquick
- ½ c -Water
- ½ ts Cinnamon
- 1 2" strip orange peel
- 1 ts -Salt 1 2" strip lemon peel
- ½ ts Ground cloves
- ½ Cinnamon stick
- ¾ ts Baking powder
- ¼ c Honey
- 2 c Sugar ½ Lemon; juiced
- 2 ½ c Chopped walnuts
- ¼ c Walnuts
- 1 ½ c Milk
- 1 ts Ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ c Vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl place the eggs, Bisquick, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, salt, cloves, baking powder, the 2 cups of sugar, the 2 ½ cups of chopped walnuts, milk, and oil.
- Blend them together with an electric mixer for 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer on high and beat the batter for 15 seconds.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Pour the batter into a baking pan that is 10 x 14 inches, and 2 ½ inches deep.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cake and let it sit for 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan place the ¾ cup of sugar, water, orange peel, lemon peel, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and then simmer them for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Stir the ingredients together and let the syrup cool.
- Remove the orange and lemon peels, and the cinnamon stick.
- Spread the syrup over the cake.
- Sprinkle on the ¼ cup of chopped walnuts and the ground cinnamon.
Source: Papadakis Taverna - San Pedro, California California Beach Recipe -
by Joan & Carl Stromquist - ISBN: 0-9622807-3-9